The Hidden Parlor invites you and your friends to take part in our global chronicle, set in modern nights and utilizing the Minds Eye Theatre: Vampire the Masquerade rules set. We hope to not just create a collaborative story, but to build a LARP network and community based on these guiding principles:
- Dedication to a dynamic, immersive setting that empowers local chapters.
- Emphasizing the inperson aspect of Live Action RolePlaying.
- Developing a Community based on shared interests, mutual respect and volunteerism.
Frequently Asked Questions
What rules system do you use?
Are the different genres/venues in separate “continuities”?
We run a single-continuity chronicle. This means that all chapters regardless of the venues/genres within take part in the same shared story. We believe this provides richer possibilities for collaborative storytelling.
Will you allow house rules?
We want to make it as easy as possible for new players to join our chronicle and to travel to local games within our community. Likewise, we want our storytellers to focus on storytelling rather than constantly reviewing and adjusting their game’s rules. While individual games can place restrictions on the types of characters that can be created or portrayed within, they will not be able to modify the rules mechanics via. “house rules”.
Individual chapters are able to define the mood and theme of their game, as well as fine-tune the rarity of various character types (make things “more rare” than specified in the global genre settings). This is done through the game’s Setting Style Document. In addition, each chapter may set their own policies and procedures in their Chapter Charter. Both documents are published on the chapter’s website.
Will you allow custom content?
The Hidden Parlor plans to allow custom content (custom Disciplines, Techniques, Rituals, Merits, etc.) in the future. Any custom content will need to go through a formal review process in order to ensure game balance and will be published in a document that is accessible to all members.
Is there a minimum player/member requirement to start a game?
New games that want to join our network will need to have a minimum of 10 members. The two game administrative roles (Storyteller and Administrator) count towards the minimum requirement. We hope that games will recruit more members above the minimum, as larger games bring greater opportunities for player-driven stories.
What is the cost for membership?
The Hidden Parlor uses funds raised from membership dues to cover our organization’s expenses (website hosting + development, legal fees, marketing, etc.) and to pay for services that we cannot obtain from volunteer efforts alone. Membership dues are $20 USD per year.
International chapters: We realize that due to economic differences and currency exchanges that $20 USD may be unrealistic. The Boad of Directors is happy to work with you to determine a membership fee that is more feasible, and we are adjusting our membership portal to accomodate this need.
What are membership requirements?
The Hidden Parlor is open to members who meet the following requirements:
- Participants must be at least 18 years old or the legal age of majority for their state/country of residence, whichever is greater
- Participants must also use their legal name (first name and last initial at minimum) in official correspondence
- Participants must abide by our community’s code of conduct.
The Hidden Parlor reserves the right to prevent, deny, or terminate the membership and benefits of those who have been:
- convicted of a violent felony, sex crime, or crime against a child; or
- banned or expelled from another World of Darkness LARP organization (Mind’s Eye Society, One World by Night, or Underground Theatre) – the Board of Directors will review this on a case-by-case basis